Sunday, July 28, 2013

Lumpp Named Director of Bellagio’s Poker Room

My new column for Ante Up is now online and can be found here.

Should be appearing in poker rooms around the country soon, if not already. I never know.

As you can see, most of the column is my interview with Craig Lumpp, the newly named Director of Poker at The Bellagio.  There was one thing we discussed that didn't really belong in the magazine column so I want to mention it here.

Just before meeting with Craig, I had read the blog post by Grange about his recent experience playing at the Bellagio.  In that post (here), he questioned Bellagio's policy requiring players to post before playing a hand.  It is the only room in Vegas that requires it.

So of course I asked Craig about it.  Just checking my recording just now, I hear myself telling him that although that discussion wouldn't go into the Ante Up column, it might end up on my blog!

He said they reviewed that policy a few years back and  it is not a "player unfriendly rule."  Basically, when the players get into the higher stacks--and they are one of the few rooms that has higher stakes--they want players to post (the players do).  And they want to keep it consistent throughout the rules.  Players start at 1-3 or 2-5, get on a heater and step up to the bigger games (5-10, 10-20).  They want the players "growing up" with the same set of rules.

I described the situation Grange discussed about thinking he was buying the button but the dealer didn't realize that's what he was doing.  He agreed with Grange's point and said he would address it.

Some time back, I also addressed Bellagio's posting policy in a silly post here.


No comments:

Post a Comment